Monday, March 10, 2014

Dear family and friends

Dear family and friends,


Im not sure all of you have had a chance to read my blog but I wanted to share with you what the Lord has been doing in my life. As many of you know, I graduated with my Masters Degree in Teaching in July of last year. Although I know I'll be involved in teaching at some level one day, God has been stirring me to move overseas and serve the people of Indonesia in this season. 

This will be my third time going to Indonesia and a fulfillment of something the Lord put on my heart to do at the age of 14. In the past, I have served in Indonesia on short term missions but this time I will be going for 11 months which I believe will give me a greater opportunity for impact. 

Indonesia is the largest Muslim nation in the world, with 79.8 % of the population devoting their lives, their families, their work, and their prayers to Allah. It's a hurting place but God is on the move and is working in the hearts of many. I had the opportunity to work with urban poor teens last time I was in Indonesia. My team and I spent a weekend retreat with over 40 students, teaching them about the character of Christ and the power we have over evil when we call on His name. This was the moment that I fell in love with the people of Indonesia. I had  the opportunity to go and share the story of grace to a people that had not yet heard His name. 

That experience in 2012 is what stirred me to go back to Indonesia and do more ministry with unreached people groups. In July of this year, I will be working with Dave Kenney, an Assemblies of God missionary,  at International English Service (IES), his church in Jakarta, Indonesia. Ministry opportunities will include but are not limited to; education and medical programs, sports outreach, and discipleship groups. IES’s vision is for the believers to be the hands and feet of Jesus to their neighbors; helping provide them with the resources they need so that they can become people of influence.

I will also have the privilege of working alongside Rosemarie and Waldemar Kowalski as they start a church plant in Bandung, Indonesia. This will be an English speaking church in the heart of the Sunda culture. the Sundanese people are one of the largest unreached people groups in the world, with about 20,000 believers out of a population of about 35 million people.

There are two ways that you can partner with me as I spend the next 11 months in Indonesia:

1. Prayer - pray for the people of IES and the surrounding communities; that they would be open to the message of Jesus. Pray for the Kowalskis as they go into a world of hurt, build relationships and share the love of Christ. Lastly, pray for me; that God would direct my steps, my ministry, and my heart for this country. 
2. Give - If you feel in your heart that you would like to support me on this journey you can support me with a one time gift or you may support me monthly for the duration of my assignment. The amount I need each month is $950. If you are able to support me on a monthly basis would you consider one of the following amounts: $25, $50, $100, though I would be blessed with any amount you could provide.


You can write your checks to AGWM and put my account number  (#2838381) in the memo. 

Contributor Services
1445 N. Boonville Avenue,Springfield, MO 65802-1894


If you have questions about your donation you can contact the office at:
1-877-840-4800E-mail: Contributions@ag.org



If online giving is easier you can always donate to my account using AGWM's online giving page at: Giving.AG.org


Thank you so much for partnering with me to fulfill the Great Commission,

Avery Hopkins 

No comments:

Post a Comment