Sunday, December 15, 2013

TRUST

If any of you have lived with children - be it nieces and nephews or kids of your own - you know that although much hard work and a large amount of selflessness goes into caring for them, they are an absolute blast to be around (or maybe I feel this way because I'm the fun aunt). I live with my sister, her husband, and their four kids. It can get crazy at times; I wish I could take a photo because Loren my 1 1/2 year old nephew is literally sitting on my iPad screen as I type. 


Kellan is the oldest of the 4 kids and I recently taught him the "do you trust me?" game. You all know the game; one person stands a few feet back and the other person must stand straight and fall back, hoping the friend is a nice friend and will catch them before the fall. It can be rather frightening but as soon as you gain trust in that person, it gets much easier to play the game. 


However, after I taught this game to Kellan, I realized that there is a very vital part of this game that I didn't make a point to tell him. We all know that the very most important part of this game is to make sure that all parties know that they are playing the game. It is so very crucial that the person falling, asks if the other person will catch them. I don't need to explain what happened when Kellan decided to play this game without letting me know. 

But Kellan showed me something that day that I have struggled to learn in my own life with Christ. Trust. Because Kellan and I had payed this game before and I caught him, he put all of his trust in me the next time he decided to play. Kellan knew that I would never let him fall and now he understands that as long as we both know that we are playing, he can trust me.

A lot like our relationship with Christ. The best way to get through life's curve balls is to remember who you know Christ to be. Don't let your situation or what you see to change what you know about Christ. Sometimes it's difficult to say "I trust you and your goodness" because we may not see how things are ever going to get better. 

But what would happen the next time things don't go according to plan, instead of stressing over where your next step will be, you remember that He instructs us and teaches us in the way we should go, that He will guide us with His eye. (Ps 32:8)

How about the next time you are hard on yourself because you made a mistake and you try to fix it alone, remember that He cares for us and actually asks us to release our anxiety to Him (1 Peter 5:7).  

We already know the truth about Christ and the moment we decided to follow Him, we gave him our past life, our current situation, and the unknown future. We cannot pick and choose what we want to faithfully give to the Lord based on how easy it is to do. As Christians, sometimes the hardest thing to do is actually believe what we proclaim. I cannot tell you how many times I have said "I know you will provide for me Lord" and yet that very same day will be tormented  because I don't know how I will get the support I need. 

Recently I have been forcing myself to say the promises I know about a Christ out loud because it has been difficult to trust Him in this season. There is power in verbalizing who Christ is.

My challenge for you is two fold:

1. Take time this week to focus on the promises of God; what He promises to be for us and do for those who follow Him. 

2. Trust Him with everything, every worry, every bill, every anxious thought...seriously give it all to Him, He can handle it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment